The Tang Center opened at the University of Chicago in early 2000, thanks to a generous large gift from the Cyrus Tang Foundation and the Tang Foundation for Research of Traditional Chinese Medicine. The Tang Foundations were founded by Cyrus Tang, President and CEO of Tang Industries, Inc., a diversified holding company that includes industrial, pharmaceutical, furniture, and real estate holdings.
Our mission is to evaluate both benefits and risks of medicinal herbs:
- We investigate efficacy and safety of medicinal herbs and other dietary supplements supported by world-wide collaborations.
- We promote herbal use based on evidence-based research.
- We introduce novel herbal formulations through proprietary techniques and standardized procedures.
- We offer educational information to healthcare professionals on usage and adverse effects of alternative therapies.
- We provide unbiased herbal information to today's health-conscious consumers.
- We warn consumers and patients of potential danger and hoaxes of herbs and dietary supplements.